R - Brighton Photographers

Click here to return to home page

 Brighton Photographers [Ransom to Ruge]

G. & K. Ransom - Raymond & Co. -  G. A. Read - Mdme Rivers - Robert & Bertrand - Lionel Roberts - William Roberts -  William Benjamin Roe - Edward W. Rolfe -  

Thomas Rosslyn - Royal Chain Pier Photographic Rooms - Royal Photographic Studio - Edmund Rubbra & Co. - George Ruff - Madame Agnes Ruge


G. & K. RANSOM (see Harry KING

A trade directory published in 1891 lists G. K. Ransom as a photographer at 19 New England Street, Brighton. I believe this was an erroneous entry. In 1891, 19 New England Street was occupied by George Ransom and his wife Kate Ransom, together with their 9 children and Mrs Ransom's brother, Harry King, who is recorded on the 1891 census return as a self-employed 'Photographer'. For a brief time the photography business might have gone under the name of "G. & K. Ransom", but it is clear that Harry King was the resident photographer.

George Ransom was born "Stephen George Ransom" in St Leonards, near Hastings, Sussex, in 1848. [The birth of Stephen George Ransom was registered in the district of Hastings during the 1st Quarter of 1848]. (Stephen) George Ransom was the son of Emily Neeves and John Ransom, a railway guard. Like his father before him, George Ransom found employment with the Railway. By 1871, 23 year old George Ransom was employed as a "Railway Engine Cleaner" in Brighton. Within ten years, George Ransom would become a railway locomotive engine driver.

On 2nd April 1876, at St Nicholas Church, Brighton, (Stephen) George Ransom married Kate King (born 1852, Shipley, Sussex), the daughter of Mary and David King, an agricultural labourer of Hurstpierpoint. After their marriage, George and Kate Ransom set up home at No.3 Cameron Terrace, Brighton. Over the next three years, Mrs Kate Ransom gave birth to three children - George Harry Ransom (born 1877, Brighton), Albert Ernest Ransom (born 1878, Brighton) and Ellen Alethia Ransom (born 1880, Brighton). By the time the census was taken on 3rd April 1881, George and Kate Ransom and their three children had been joined at their Brighton home by Mrs Ransom's younger brother Harry King (born 1863, Hurstpierpoint, Sussex). On the 1881 census return, George Ransom is described as a 'Loco Engine Driver' and his 17 year old brother-in-law, Harry King gave his occupation as "Photographer's Assistant".

By 1890, George Ransom and his growing family had moved to 19 New England Street, Brighton. The 1891 Census lists George Ransom, his wife Kate Ransom and their 9 children at 19 New England Street. George Ransom's brother-in-law, Harry King, was still boarding with the Ransom family and was earning his living as a full-time photographer.

1891 Census: 19 New England Street, Brighton






George Ransom



Locomotive Driver

Hastings, Sussex
Kate Ransom


38   Hurstpierpoint, Sussex
George Ransom son 14   Brighton, Sussex
(Albert) Ernest Ransom son 12


Brighton, Sussex
Ellen Ransom daughter 11 scholar Brighton, Sussex
Arthur Ransom son 9 scholar Brighton, Sussex
Elizabeth Ransom daughter 7 scholar Brighton, Sussex
Kate Ransom son 6 scholar Brighton, Sussex
Rosina Ransom daughter 4 scholar Brighton, Sussex
Annie Ransom daughter 2   Brighton, Sussex
Jane Ransom daughter 3 wks   Brighton, Sussex
Harry King boarder 27 Photographer Hurstpierpoint, Sussex
[ABOVE] George Ransom and his family recorded at 19 New England Street, Brighton, in the 1891 Census. Boarding with George Ransom at 19 New England Street was twenty-seven year old Harry King, who was the younger brother of Mrs Kate Ransom and a professional photographer. Harry King had worked as a photographer since his teenage years. (On the 1881 census, 17 year old Harry was recorded as a "Photographer's Assistant".  From around 1890, Harry King operated as a self-employed photographer from his brother-in-law's address.
To view examples of Harry King's photographic work and to read a more detailed account of his career as a photographer, go to the web pages via the following links:

[ABOVE] The trade plate of Harry King , Photographer of 19 New England Street, Brighton (c1890).

Harry King of Brighton

Harry King of Hurstpierpoint




George Alfred READ (born 1870, Kensington, London) - active as a photographer in Brighton in 1892.

[ABOVE] Portrait of an unknown man , a carte-de-visite photograph by George Alfred Read of 34 High Street, Brighton. Using his old card stock, Read has written his new address "34 High St." at the bottom of the card, beneath the photograph. This portrait dates from around 1892. George Read and his wife were residing in Brighton when their son,  George Samuel Read,  died. The death of 2 year old George Samuel Read was registered in Brighton during the First Quarter of 1892.

George Alfred Read was born in Kensington, London, in 1870, the son of Louisa and William Read, an omnibus conductor.

In 1889, at Horncastle, Lincolnshire, George Alfred Read married Susan Kate Barnes aka Barns (born, 1870, Chelsea, London), the daughter of Harriett Mason and Story Barnes (1835-1911), a jobbing builder. Mrs Susan Read gave birth to a son named George Samuel Read in Horncastle, Lincolnshire, during the First Quarter of 1890. Shortly after the birth of his son, George Alfred Read returned to Kensington, London, to pursue his career as a photographer. The 1891 census records twenty-one year old George A. Read, as a self-employed "Photographer" living with his wife Susan and their young son George at 64 Pembroke Gardens, Kensington, London.

Around 1891, George Alfred Read took over a photographic studio at No.9 Claro Terrace, Richmond Road, Earl's Court, which had previously been occupied by the photographers Alick Urquhart Endicott (1860-1907) and Reginald Florkofski. George Read's presence in Earl's Court must have been brief, because early in 1892 he was in Brighton and by 1893, the studio at 9 Claro Terrace, was in the hands of the photographer John Henry Grayson Clarke (born 1869, Kenilworth, Warwickshire).

In 1892, George Alfred Read was briefly active as a photographer in the seaside town of Brighton. George Read and his wife were residing in Brighton when their two year old son, George Samuel Read, died during the First Quarter of 1892. I have in my collection a single carte-de-visite portrait which carries the name G. A. Read and a hand-written address of 34 High Street, Brighton. (In 1891, 34 High Street, which was in the Kemp Town area of Brighton, was occupied by Benjamin J. Funnell, a hairdresser). George Read was using old printed card stock from his Earl's Court studio. The studio address of  9 Claro Terrace, Richmond Road, Earl's Court has been crossed out and over-written in ink with Read's Brighton address "34 High Street, Brighton". The reverse of carte is printed with with a design incorporating a quarter-circle fan, a stem of bamboo and two birds in flight, a back design which was popular from the late 1880s until about 1892.

[ABOVE] The reverse of the carte-de-visite by George Alfred Read illustrated on the left (c1892). Read was using his old card stock from his Earl's Court studio and simply crossed out the Claro Terrace address and replaced it with the hand-written address of "34 High St., Brighton". At the time of the 1891 census, 34 High Street, Brighton, was occupied by Benjamin John Funnell (1868-1896), a 23 year old hairdresser.







William ROBERTS (born c1830, St. Andrews, Holborn)

William Roberts was born in the Holborn district of London about 1830. On the 1861 Census return, William Roberts declared that he was 31 years of age and that he was born in the parish of St Andrews in the Holborn area of London.

Very little is known about William Roberts' photographic career. The earliest documentary evidence I have found which clearly indicates that William Roberts was a photographer is the 1861 census return for the West Ward of Brighton, which records William Roberts at 70 King's Road, Brighton. On the 1861 census return, William Roberts is described as an unmarried 31 year old 'Photographer'. Roberts is shown as the sole occupant of 70 King's Road, Brighton. The only physical evidence in my possession which clearly demonstrates that William Roberts was working as a photographer in Brighton around 1861 are two carte-de-visite portraits which date from this period and carry a trade plate printed on the reverse of the card which reads: "Roberts, Photographer, 70 King's Road, Brighton". This is supported by an illustration to an account of the activities of Doctor William King, who was promoting the idea of Co-operation in Brighton during the Victorian period. In the book 'Dr William King, Promoter of the Co-operative Movement' by T. W. Mercer (1922), there is a reproduction of a carte-de-visite portrait of Mrs Mary King, Dr King's wife, which is described as being "from a Photograph taken in 1861" and is credited to "Roberts, Brighton".

William Roberts' tenure at 70 King's Road, Brighton, was very brief. We know Roberts was operating a photographic studio at 70 King's Road, Brighton in 1861, but by 1862 his business premises was in the hands of the Dickinson Brothers, a firm of print-sellers and photographers. Sometime in 1861, William Roberts had opened a branch studio in the capital at 9 Charing Cross, London, but this studio had closed by the end of 1862. Dickinson Brothers took photographic portraits at 70 King's Road, Brighton until 1865 when they re-located their studio to No. 107 King's Road.

Unfortunately, I cannot find out anything about William Roberts' life and working career after he closed his Brighton and London studios in 1862. The name 'William Roberts' is a fairly common name and it is therefore difficult to trace the Brighton and London photographer William Roberts in genealogical records. For example, in the London area alone, between the years 1862 and 1865, there are 36 registrations of death for men named William Roberts. I have searched for a London-born William Roberts working as a photographer in census records before and after 1861, but without success. William Roberts might have died young, emigrated abroad or gave up photography as a profession, so unless a family descendant of William Roberts makes contact, it is unlikely that I will discover more about William Roberts the Brighton and London photographer.

[ABOVE] The trade plate of William Roberts, Photographer of 70, King's Road, Brighton, as printed on the reverse of a carte-de-visite photograph.

[ABOVE] Detail of a print published in 1875 which shows the parade of seafront buildings in Brighton's King's Road to the east of  the Grand Hotel. The red spot indicates the approximate location of William Roberts' studio at 70, King's Road, Brighton. During the Victorian period, King's Road was a popular promenade.

[ABOVE] Portrait of a man leaning on a pedestal, a carte-de-visite portrait by William Roberts,  photographer of 70 King's Road, Brighton (1861). [ABOVE] The reverse of a carte-de-visite photograph by William Roberts, Photographer of 70, King's Road, Brighton, showing his trade plate. [ABOVE] Portrait of a man and a woman, a carte-de-visite by William Roberts,  photographer of 70 King's Road, Brighton & 9 Charing Cross, London (1861). [ABOVE] The trade plate of William Roberts, printed on the reverse of the carte-de-visite on the left with hand-written studio address 9 Charing Cross, London (1861).

William Roberts' Portrait of Mrs Mary King, wife of Dr William King, Promoter of the Co-operative Movement

[ABOVE]  Dr William King (1786-1865), a painted portrait by an unknown artist.
Dr William King (1786-1865)

Dr William King was born in Ipswich, Suffolk, on 17th April 1786, the son of Rev. John King, Master of the Ipswich Grammar School, who later became the incumbent of Witnesham Church, near Ipswich. After attending Cambridge University and securing a B.A. degree and a Master's degree, William King studied medicine at St Bartholmew's Hospital in London. By 1819, King had qualified as a Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) and in 1820 he became a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians.

After his marriage to Mary Hooker of Rottingdean (see below), Dr William King settled in Brighton, where he became well known as a philanthropist and gained a reputation as "the Poor Man's Doctor". Interested in education, Dr King helped establish an infant school and in 1825 encouraged the formation of the Brighton Mechanics' Institution, where ordinary working men could obtain "instruction and information in Mechanics, and in other branches of Science". For this purpose, premises were found at 31 West Street, Brighton, which provided accommodation for a Reading Room, a Library (containing 400 volumes), a large Lecture Room and several classrooms.

[ABOVE]  Dr William King (1786-1865), a copy of a carte-de-visite portrait taken at Merrick's Brighton studio around 1862.
Today, Dr King is primarily known as an active promoter of the Co-operative Movement. During 1827, Dr King supported the establishment of The Brighton Co-operative Benevolent Fund and The Co-operative Trading Association. From the 1st May, 1828 until August 1830, King produced a small monthly magazine called The Co-operator to champion and spread the ideas of co-operation. 

From 1837, Dr William King operated  the Brighton Self-Supporting Dispensary where poor patients were treated for a minimal fee or at no charge at all. In 1842, Dr William King was appointed 'Consulting Physician to the (Royal) Sussex County Hospital", a post he held until his retirement in 1861. Dr William King died in Brighton on 19th October 1865 at the age of 80.

Mrs Mary King (formerly Mary Hooker)

Mary Hooker was born about 1794 in Greenford, Middlesex, the daughter Dr. Thomas Redman Hooker(1762-1838), Doctor of Divinity, Vicar of St Margaret's Church, Rottingdean, and Master of a boy's school based at The Vicarage (now known as 'The Grange'). On 17th January, 1821, Mary Hooker married Dr William King at St Margaret's Church, Rottingdean.

In 1851, 57 year old Mrs Mary King (formerly Hooker) was living with her husband Dr William King at 23 Montpelier Road, Brighton.

In 1861, the year her husband retired as a physician, Mrs Mary King, then in her 67th year, had her portrait taken at William Roberts' photographic studio at 70 King's Road, Brighton. I do not know the whereabouts of the original carte-de-visite photographs taken by William Roberts that day, but one was reproduced as an illustration to W. T. Mercer's book 'Dr William King, Promoter of the Co-operative Movement' published in 1922.

[ABOVE] Mrs Mary King, wife of Dr William King, a carte-de-visite portrait by William Roberts,  photographer of 70 King's Road, Brighton (1861).

This portrait of Mrs King appeared as an illustration to  T. W. Mercer's book "Dr. William King and the Co-operator, 1828-1830". [The Co-operative Union Limited, Manchester, 1922]


[RIGHT] Dr. Thomas Redman Hooker  (1762-1838), the father of Mary Hooker, who in 1821, became the wife of Dr. William King. Dr Hooker was a school master and Vicar of St Margaret's Church, Rottingdean, Sussex.

William Benjamin ROE




Edward W. ROLFE




Royal Chain Pier Photographic Rooms


[ABOVE] An advertisement for the Royal Chain Pier Photographic Rooms which appeared in the Brighton Herald on 1st October and 8th October, 1853.

Royal Photographic Studio [Manager J. M. Mackie]


Edmund RUBBRA & Co.





George RUFF (1826-1903)

[ABOVE] A portrait of the Brighton artist & photographer George Ruff (1826-1903), an albumen print photograph taken around 1860.

PHOTO: Courtesy of Philippe Garner

[ABOVE] A group portrait of George Ruff's wife and two children, a collodion positive (ambrotype) photograph taken by George Ruff around 1861. Mrs Ruth Ruff (born 1825, Brighton), the photographer's wife, holds her son George Ruff junior (born 1858, Brighton) as he stands on a green coloured plinth. Standing on the right is George Ruff's daughter Ruth Ruff (born 1852, Brighton).

PHOTO: Courtesy of Philippe Garner

[ABOVE] A collodion positive (ambrotype) portrait of a seated woman by George Ruff, Artist and Photographist of 45 Queen's Road Brighton (c1860). George Ruff dubbed his collodion positive pictures as "Non-reflecting Photographic Portraits". This particular  photographic portrait is housed in a 'French Frame' that can be hung on a wall.

[ABOVE] George Ruff's publicity printed on a label affixed to the back of a collodion positive (ambrotype) portrait  by George Ruff, Artist and Photographist of 45 Queen's Road Brighton (c1860).

[ABOVE] A collodion positive (ambrotype) portrait of a bearded man by George Ruff, Artist and Photographist of 45 Queen's Road Brighton (c1858).  This particular  photographic portrait is housed in a Morocco leather case gilt stamped with the photographer's name and studio address.

[ABOVE] The trade plate of Mr. George Ruff, Artist and Photographist of 45 Queen's Road Brighton gilt-stamped on the leather presentation case holding the portrait of a man illustrated above (c1858). 


George Ruff was born in Brighton in 1826, the son of Charlotte and George Ruff senior (1795-1841), a shoemaker of Gloucester Street, Brighton. George’s baptism was recorded in Brighton on 27th October 1826 and his date of birth is given as 26th September 1826. George’s father originated from Amberley in West Sussex, but by 1824 he was working as a shoemaker in Sussex Street, Brighton.

In November 1825, George Ruff the shoemaker married Charlotte Snelling of Brighton. The following year, on 26th September 1826, Mrs Charlotte Ruff gave birth to her first, and possibly only son, George. After George Ruff’s father died in 1841, his mother set herself up as a greengrocer and opened a shop in Brighton. As early as 1845, Mrs Charlotte Ruff is recorded as a greengrocer at 46 Richmond Street, Brighton. In an 1848 Brighton directory, George Ruff (presumably Mrs Ruff’s 22 year old son) is listed as a shopkeeper of 46 Richmond Street, Brighton.

George Ruff - Artist & Painter

At the time of the 1851 Census, Mrs Charlotte Ruff is recorded as a “Fruiterer – Greengrocer”, a widow, aged 48, residing at 46 Richmond Street, Brighton. Mrs Ruff’s only son, George Ruff, who was already working as an artist, is described on the 1851 census return as a “Painter in Oil & Watercolour”. In 1850, George Ruff had executed a watercolour of Hove Church, which is now owned by Brighton Museum & Art Gallery. Around the same time, the 24 year old artist probably made a daguerreotype of St Nicholas Church, one of the earliest photographic images of a Brighton building to have survived.

During the 1850s, George Ruff produced a number of paintings which represented scenes in Brighton and the surrounding countryside. In 1851, he painted watercolours depicting The Lodge at Brighton Cemetery, the Royal Pavilion, Preston Paygate and a view of the Queens Road in Brighton. In 1853, George Ruff completed an oil painting of Brighton Beach, which, like a number of his painted works, now resides in the collection of the Brighton Museum & Art Gallery. George Ruff also exhibited his artwork in London galleries. At the Society of British Artists, George Ruff exhibited seven watercolours, including the paintings “Broadstairs with the North Foreland Lighhouse” and "Kitchen Garden”.

George Ruff probably did not sell enough paintings to make a living as an artist. By 1855, George Ruff is listed in a local directory as a greengrocer, running a shop for his mother at 102 Richmond Street, Brighton.

Marriage and Children

Towards the end of 1851, George Ruff married Ruth Collins (born 1825, Brighton), a twenty-six year old milliner & dressmaker, who at the time of the 1851 census, had been living next door at 47 Richmond Street, Brighton, with her uncle William Eastwood, who ran a grocery store alongside Mrs Charlotte Ruff's greengrocer's shop. George's bride, Ruth Collins, had been born on 20th October 1825, was the eldest daughter of Maria Barber and John Collins, a baker of Cheapside, Brighton.

On 20th October 1852, George and Ruth Ruff became the parents of a baby girl, who was given the name Ruth Ruff, but was often referred to as 'Ruthey' to distinguish her from her mother. On 16th June 1858, Mrs Ruth Ruff gave birth to a second child, a boy called George Ruff junior, named after his father.

George Ruff – 'Artist and Photographist'

There is evidence that George Ruff was taking daguerreotypes as early as 1850. A view of St Nicholas's Church was photographed by George Ruff before the restoration and alterations were made to the church building in the early 1850s. (See illustration, below).

[ABOVE] The Church of St Nicholas, Brighton, photographed around 1850. This a copy photograph of a daguerreotype made by George Ruff before the church was restored and altered in the period 1851-1852. The original daguerreotype was passed down to Aubrey Ruff, George Ruff's grandson.

George Ruff became a professional photographer around 1855 and is first listed as a photographic artist in the 1856 edition of  Robert Folthorp’s General Directory for Brighton. In Folthorp's Brighton directory, George Ruff’s home and studio address is given as 45 Queen’s Road, Brighton, and he was to work in this building as a photographic artist for the next twenty years. Advertisements proclaimed that Ruff’s studio at 45 Queen’s Road was located “exactly opposite the Eye Infirmary” and was “open from ten till nearly dusk”, adding that portraits were taken “in any weather”. His cased portraits carried the words “Mr George Ruff – Artist and Photographist.

In the late 1850s, George Ruff was producing wet collodion portraits on glass, which he described as “Non-reflecting Photographic Portraits”. Ruff charged 2s 6d for an uncoloured portrait in a Morocco leather case. Colouring of the photograph would cost the customer one shilling extra. In an advertisement from this period, George Ruff proudly states that the colouring of the photographic portraits is “executed entirely by Mr R. himself (an Artist independent of Photography)”. George Ruff also specialised in the production of stereoscopic portraits.

[ABOVE] A stereoscopic collodion positive glass slide depicting a seated wedding couple with the father of the bride or groom standing behind them. This stereoscopic group portrait was produced by George Ruff, Artist and Photographist of 45 Queen's Road Brighton (c1860). 

George Ruff































Carte-de-visite Portraits by George Ruff of 45 Queen's Road, Brighton.

[ABOVE] Portrait of an unknown man standing by a bookcase by George Ruff,  photographer of 45 Queen's Road, Brighton (c1864). Negative Number 1916. [ABOVE] Portrait of a young man leaning on a chair by George Ruff,  photographer of 45 Queen's Road, Brighton (c1864). Negative Number 1587. [ABOVE] Portrait of a seated woman ('Mrs Christmas') by George Ruff,  photographer of 45 Queen's Road, Brighton (c1866). Negative Number 4131. [ABOVE] Portrait of a woman standing by a gate and holding a book by George Ruff,  photographer of 45 Queen's Road, Brighton (c1867). Negative Number 5430.

[ABOVE] The business premises of George Ruff, 'Artist and Photographer', at 45 Queen's Road, Brighton. The photographer's 13 year old son, George Ruff junior (born 1858, Brighton) stands in the doorway. The albumen photographic print carries a date of  'February 1872'.

 PHOTO: Courtesy of Philippe Garner



Gallery of Carte-de-visite Portraits by George Ruff of 45 Queen's Road, Brighton





Madame Agnes RUGE (1814-1899) - active as a Daguerreotype Artist between 1854 and 1857.

Mrs Agnes Ruge, early photographer and wife of the German political radical Arnold Ruge, depicted in a carte-de-visite portrait by Benjamin Botham,  photographer of 43 Western Road, Brighton (c1867).
PHOTO: Courtesy of David Cotton of the Bermagui Historical Society
[ABOVE] Madame Agnes Ruge listed as a Daguerreotype Artist in  W. J. Taylor's Original Directory of Brighton (1854).
Mrs Agnes Ruge has the distinction of being the first woman to be recorded as a photographer in Brighton. 'Madame Ruge' is listed at 180 Western Road, Brighton, under the heading of "Daguerreotype Artists" in W J Taylor's Directory of Brighton issued in 1854.

Agnes Ruge was the second wife of Professor Arnold Ruge (c1804-1880), an associate of Karl Marx and a radical, who had been driven into political exile after the failure of the 1848 Revolution in Germany. Mrs Ruge was born Agnes Wilhelmine Nietzsche around 1814 in Dresden, Saxony, the daughter of Caroline and Gustav Nietzsche. In 1834, at the age of 19, Agnes Wilhelmine Nietzsche married Arnold Ruge, a teacher at the University of Halle. The couple's first child, a daughter named Hedwig Agnes Ruge was born in Halle, Prussia around 1838. Involved in revolutionary politics, Arnold Ruge and his wife were constantly on the move. A second child, Hermann Arnold Ruge was born in Dresden, Saxony, in 1843. Arnold Ruge was in Paris between 1844 and 1846 and then settled in Leipzig. Agnes Ruge's youngest daughter, Agnes Franzisca Ruge was born in Berlin, Prussia, in 1849.

Arnold Ruge and his wife and family arrived in England in 1849 and settled in the seaside town of Brighton the following year. The 1851 census records Arnold Ruge and his family at 4 Brunswick Place, Brighton. On the census return, 47 year old Arnold Ruge is described as a "Professor of German Language". No profession is given for 36 year old Agnes Ruge on the 1851 census.

By 1854 new employment opportunities had opened up for Mrs Agnes Ruge. On 14th August 1853 the patent on the Daguerreotype photographic process had come to an end, which meant that William Constable no longer had an exclusive licence to produce daguerreotype portraits in Brighton. Before August 1853, very few photographers risked prosecution by challenging William Constable's monopoly in producing photographic likenesses. When W. J. Taylor compiled his Original Directory of Brighton sometime before June 1854, he found that there were 9 daguerreotype artists at work in Brighton, including 'Madame Ruge' at 180 Western Road, Brighton.

Mrs Agnes Ruge worked as a daguerreotype artist for only a short period of time. By 1857, Agnes Ruge was earning a living as a teacher of the German language. Karl Marx wrote in November 1857 that "Mrs Ruge is the only teacher of German in Brighton" and added that "so greatly does demand exceed supply," she had to recruit her 19 year old daughter, Hedwig, as an assistant. The 1861 Census records the Ruge family at 180 Western Road, Brighton. On the census return, 57 year old Arnold Ruge is described as a 'Professor of Philosophy and German Literature', while Agnes W. Ruge, his 47 year old wife, is recorded as a "Teacher of the German Language".

Arnold Ruge died in Brighton in 1881 at the age of 77. At the time of her husband's death, Mrs Agnes Ruge was residing at 7 Park Crescent, Brighton. On the census return, completed on 3rd April 1881, both Mrs Ruge and her eldest daughter Hedwig gave their occupation as "Teacher of German Language". Agnes's youngest daughter, A. Francis (Agnes Franzisca) Ruge was earning her living as a "Teacher of Singing". [In 1892, Agnes Francisca (Franzisca) Ruge married William Charles Fargus (1852-1900)].

Mrs Agnes Wilhelmine Ruge died in Brighton on 11th March, 1899, at the age of 84.


Brighton Photographers - R

RANSOM, G. & K.  (See Harry King)
19 New England Street
12a London Road

READ, George Alfred

34 High Street

RIVERS Mdme [see Mdml Bertin]
42a Cannon Place
13 St James Street
1910 +
ROBERTS, Lionel William
15 (14) Gloucester Place
70 Kings Road
ROE William Benjamin
57 Cobden Road
ROLFE Edward W.
45 Grand Parade
10 Western Road
11 Western Road
Chain Pier
Oct 1853
170 North Street
RUBBRA Edmund & CO
2 Upper St James Street
RUFF George notes & examples
45 Queens Road
RUGE Agnes Madame (Mrs)
180 Western Road

Click here to return to home page