Hastings Photographers (Ha-He)
Click here to return to Home Page
Professional Photographers in Hastings ( Ha-He )
Frank Harris - Ainslie Harwood (Hastings Photographic Company) - Hastings School of Photography - Arthur Charles Heilbronn - A. Murray Henderson
Frank HARRIS (born 1886, Hastings, Sussex)
Photographer active in Hastings between 1908 and 1911
| Frank Harris was
born at Hastings in 1886, the son of Adelaide Emma Pruvey
and Henry William Harris, a painter and decorator. Frank's
father, Henry William Harris (1846-1900) originated from the
Gloucestershire market town of Wotton-under-Edge, but by 1861 he had
settled in Sussex. In 1866, at Uckfield, Henry William Harris
married Adelaide Emma Pruvey (born 1847, Uckfield, Sussex), the
daughter Charlotte and George Pruvey, a butcher's labourer
from Rotherfield. The union of Henry Harris and Adelaide
Pruvey produced at least 8 children - Henry junior (born
1867), Louisa Charlotte (born 1873), (Flora) Alice Adelaide
(born 1876), Robert George (born 1877), Emma Agnes (born
1881), Herbert Llewellyn (born 1884), Frank (born 1886)
and Llewellyn Beaconsfield Harris (born 1888).
When the 1901 census was taken, Frank Harris was a 15 year old "errand boy", living in Hastings with his recently widowed mother and six of his siblings. After the death of her husband in 1900, Mrs Adelaide Harris opened a boarding house in Hastings. By 1909, Frank Harris was working as a photographer from his mother's house at 21 Old Humphrey Avenue, Hastings. The 1909 edition of Kelly's Directory of Sussex lists F. Harris as a professional photographer at 21 Old Humphrey Avenue, Hastings.
The 1911 census records Frank Harris as a twenty-five year old "Photographer" residing at 21 Old Humphrey Avenue, Hastings with his mother Mrs Adelaide Harris, now earning her living as a "Lodging House Keeper", and his youngest brother Llewellyn Beaconsfield Harris, described on the census return as a "Grocer's Assistant", aged 22. By this date, Frank Harris had taken over the two photographic studios in Hastings previously owned by the photographer Harry Bartram Boyd (born 1868, Holloway, North London). The 1911 edition of Kelly's Directory of Sussex records Frank Harris as a professional photographer operating studios at 64e High Street, Hastings and 194 Queen's Road, Hastings.
When Kelly's Directory of Sussex was issued in 1913, the name of Frank Harris does not appear in the list of professional photographers featured in the Trades section of Kelly's directory. Presumably, sometime around 1912, Frank Harris either gave up photography or left his home town of Hastings to pursue his photographic career elsewhere.
Ainslie HARWOOD and the HASTINGS PHOTOGRAPHIC CO.
Ainslie Harwood (1823-1909 ) Photographic studio proprietor active in Hastings from around 1870 until about 1881
|For most of his working career, Ainslie
Harwood was in the clothing trade, running shops and stores which
sold baby linen, lace, gloves and hosiery. However, in the 1870s Harwood
became involved in the business of photography, taking a leading role in
the Hastings Photographic Company, a studio that specialised in
the production of carte-de-visite and cabinet portraits.
Ainslie Hall Harwood was born in London around 1823, the youngest of eleven children born to Captain Robert Harwood and Mary Soutter of Stepney, London. Ainslie Harwood's brothers included Robert Harwood junior (born 1791), George Harwood (born 1793), William Harwood (born 1804), Edwin Soutter Harwood (born 1806), James Shepherd Harwood (born 1809), Thomas Soutter Harwood (born 1811), Alfred Humble Harwood (born 1812), Octavius Harwood (born 1816), and Henry Harwood.
In 1850, Ainslie Harwood married Eliza Green (born c1823, Barford St Martin, Wiltshire) in her home village of Barford St Martin. (Eliza Green was probably the daughter of Harriet and John Green. John and Harriet Green's daughter Eliza was baptised in Barford St Martin, Wiltshire on 20th August 1825). After their marriage, Ainslie Harwood and his wife Eliza moved to Brighton. Around 1851, Ainslie Harwood established a clothing shop in Brighton's East Street, selling lace and gloves. The 1851 census records Ainslie Harwood and Eliza Harwood residing at their shop at 24 East Street, Brighton. Ainslie Harwood is entered on the census return as a "Laceman and Glover", aged 27. Mrs Eliza Harwood gave birth to their first child, Harriet Soutter Harwood towards the end of 1851. (When Harriet Soutter Harwood was baptised at the Chapel Royal, Brighton on 26th May 1852, her father was entered in the baptism register as a "Laceman" of East Street, Brighton).
By the Summer of 1853, Ainslie Harwood, his wife Eliza and their young daughter Harriet had moved along the Sussex coast to the seaside resort of Hastings. Ainslie and Eliza Harwood's second daughter, Emma Mary Harwood, was born in Hastings during the 2nd Quarter of 1853. Initially, Ainslie Harwood set up a clothing store at 12 Robertson Street, Hastings. Robertson Street was a new fashionable shopping parade in the centre of Hastings developed in the early 1850s by Patrick Francis Robertson (born c1808, Scotland - died 1885, London), a wealthy London merchant and M. P. for Hastings. In trade directories published between 1853 and 1855, Ainslie Harwood is variously described as a hosier, haberdasher, milliner and lace man at 12 Robertson Street, Hastings. By 1855, Ainslie Harwood had built up a flourishing clothing business and from this date his shops went under the name of Harwood & Co. The 1855 Post Office Directory lists Ainslie Harwood as the proprietor of the "Lace and Baby Linen Warehouse" at 12 Robertson Street, Hastings. By 1856, Harwood & Co. had opened a "Berlin Wool & Fancy Repository" in Pelham Arcade, Hastings. Around this time, Ainslie Harwood shifted the centre of his business operations from Robertson Street to White Rock Place on Hastings' seafront. An advertisement for "Harwood & Co., Lacemen, Glovers and Haberdashers" in the Hastings & St. Leonards News, dated 21st March 1856, gives Harwood's new business address as 27 White Rock Place, Hastings. Harwood remained in business in the area of White Rock for the next twenty years or so. Although Harwood & Co. gave notice in March 1858 that they were "relinquishing the trade" and letting out the business premises at 27 White Rock Place, the 1859 edition of the Post Office Directory of Sussex gives details of "Harwood & Co., Baby Linen Warehouse, Haberdashers & Lacemen" at 27 White Rock Place, Hastings. The proprietor himself, Ainslie Harwood, is recorded in the same directory as a "collector of land, assessed & income tax for the Parish of St. Clement", based at 2 Spring Gardens and 28 White Rock Place, Hastings.
Between 1856 and 1860, Ainslie and Eliza Harwood produced three more children - Harry Ainslie Harwood (born 4th Quarter 1856, Hastings), Francis Edward Harwood (born 3rd Quarter 1858, Hastings), Ainslie Goodwin Harwood (born 4th Quarter 1859, Hastings) and Agnes Newman Harwood (born 4th Quarter 1860, Hastings).
At the time of the 1861 census, Ainslie Harwood and his wife Eliza were living in Hastings with five of their children. Ainslie Harwood's eldest child Harriet Soutter Harwood was residing with his wife's relatives in the Wiltshire village of Barford St Martin. When Mrs Eliza Harwood was approaching her 40th birthday, she gave birth to a baby boy named Sidney Bennett Harwood, who was born in Hastings during the 3rd Quarter of 1862.
By 1863, Harwood & Co. were firmly established at 22 White Rock Place, Hastings. An advertisement in the Hastings & St. Leonards Chronicle, dated 6th May 1863, describes Harwood & Co. as "Complete Wedding and Colonial Outfitters" and gives details of a branch in High Street, Tunbridge Wells as well as the main store in Hastings at 22 White Rock Place. The newspaper advertisement mentions the "large assortment of new goods" at Harwood's store, including "cambric (lightweight cotton) handkerchiefs" and "an elegant selection of lace and muslin embroideries, ladies' linen and underclothing of every description."
In 1866, Ainslie Harwood and his family were residing at 46 Havelock Road, Hastings. Ainslie Harwood was still earning his living as a "Ladies' Outfitter" but was supplementing his income as an Insurance Agent. The business address for both of these commercial activities was 22 White Rock Place, Hastings.
In 1865, Ainslie Harwood fathered a child named Kate Eliza Harwood, whose birth was recorded in the Sussex district of Eastbourne during the 4th Quarter of 1865. About a year later, on 21st September 1866, Kate Eliza Harwood was baptised at St Clement's Church, Hastings. In the baptism register, Kate's parents are recorded as Eliza and Ainslie Harwood, yet it has been suggested by Karen Spire that Kate Eliza Harwood was the illegitimate child of Elizabeth Crowter (born c1830, Dinton, Wiltshire), a domestic servant employed by Ainslie Harwood.
When the 1871 census was taken, Ainslie Harwood and Eliza Harwood and three of their children were recorded at the family home at 46 Havelock Road, Hastings. On the census return, the Head of the Household, Ainslie Harwood, is described as a "Laceman", aged 47. No profession is given for Emma Harwood, Ainslie and Eliza Harwood's seventeen year old daughter. Two of the children listed, Agnes Harwood, aged 10, and her eight year old brother Sidney Harwood were of school age and are recorded on the census return as "scholars". Ainslie and Eliza Harwood's eldest child Harriet Soutter Harwood, now aged 19, was again away from home and was residing in Wiltshire when the census was carried out. (Harriet Harwood was to marry a couple of years later in 1873). Two of the Harwood boys, Francis Harwood, aged 12, and Ainslie Harwood, aged 11, were recorded in Essex, possibly at boarding school or with relatives.
Kate Eliza Harwood was born in Eastbourne, Sussex, during the 4th Quarter of 1865. When Kate was baptised at St Clement's Church, Hastings on 21st September 1866, her parents were recorded as Eliza and Ainslie Harwood, yet there is a suggestion that she was the illegitimate daughter of Elizabeth Crowter (born c1830, Dinton, Wiltshire), a domestic servant employed by Ainslie Harwood during the 1860s. When the census was taken on 7th April 1861, Elizabeth Crowter was recorded as an unmarried servant in the Harwood household.
At the time of the 1871 census, Elizabeth Crowter was residing in the Sussex village of Etchingham with five year old Kate Harwood who is described on the census return as Elizabeth's daughter. The following year, forty year old Elizabeth Crowter married Stephen Elliott (born c1811, Mountfield, Sussex), a widowed grocer of Hurst Green, near Salehurst. [The marriage of Elizabeth Crowter and Stephen Elliott was registered in the Sussex district of Ticehurst during the 3rd Quarter of 1872]. When the 1881 census was taken, fifteen year old Kate Harwood was residing with Miss Jane Green (the unmarried sister of Ainslie Harwood's wife) in the Wiltshire village of Barford St Martin. On the census return, Kate E. Harwood is recorded as Miss Green's niece.
When the 1891 census was taken, Kate Eliza Harwood was still living with Ainslie Harwood's sister-in-law in Barford St Martin. After the death of her Aunt Jane, Kate Eliza Harwood remained in Wiltshire. It appears that Ainslie Harwood provided well for his youngest daughter and consequently Kate Eliza Harwood never had to work for her living. When the census was taken on 2nd April 1911, Kate Harwood informed the census enumerator that she had "Private Means".
In 1931, when she was 66 years of age, Kate Eliza Harwood married George Huckle (born 1859, Bassingbourn, Cambridgeshire), a retired builder in his early seventies who resided in Kingston-on-Thames. Mrs Kate Eliza Harwood died in Salisbury, Wiltshire, in 1946, aged 80.
Ainslie Harwood and the Hastings Photographic Company
|Not long after Harwood &
Co. established the clothing shop at 22 White Rock Place,
Hastings, a photographic studio opened in the same building. In May
1863, the London photographer Charles Thomas Newcombe (born
c1830, Hackney, London) announced that he had "opened an
establishment at 22 White Rock Place, Hastings, for First Class
Photography" with a "Show Room on the First Floor". This
photographic portrait studio was in continuous use from 1863 until 1870.
Charles Newcombe was succeeded by Henry William Ashdown (born
c1844, St Pancras, London), the son of William Ashdown, the proprietor
of a Fancy Bazaar at 29 White Rock Place. Hastings. In 1869, Henry
William Ashdown moved to London to pursue his photographic career and
the studio at 22 White Rock Place was acquired by Henry James Godbold
(1842-1927), a London photographer who had worked for both Newcombe
and Ashdown in Hastings. In April 1870, Henry James Godbold placed
notices in the local press to inform his customers that he had "removed
from White Rock Place to 8 Grand Parade, St Leonards".
In the Spring of 1870, Ainslie Harwood, who had had the opportunity to observe the demand for the services of the successive photographers who had shared his business premises at 22 White Rock Place, decided to take over the recently vacated studio. Parson's Directory of Hastings and St Leonards, published in 1871, includes the name of Ainslie Harwood of 22 White Rock Place, Hastings, in its list of photographers working in the town. During 1872, advertisements appeared in the local press for the Hastings Photographic Company at 22 White Rock Place. The advertisement pointed out the studio's seafront location ("Facing the Sea") and gave the following details of the services provided - "Portraits Executed in the First Style of Art from Carte de Visite to Life Size. Finished in Oil, Water Colour or Crayon. Carte de Visite Portraits, 7s.6d. per doz.; 6 for 5s.".
Although the 1871 edition of Parson's Directory of Hastings and St Leonards had listed the name of Ainslie Harwood as one of the dozen photographers at work in the town, it does not appear that Harwood actually operated the camera at 22 White Rock Place. Ainslie Harwood's name was not printed on the carte-de-visite and cabinet portraits produced at the studio at 22 White Rock Place and when his name did appear in a trade directory listing of the Hastings Photographic Company, Harwood was either styled as the Company's "Secretary" or "Manager". Ainslie Harwood was still heavily involved in the clothing business that shared the same building at 22 White Rock Place. Harwood probably employed an experienced professional photographer at the Hastings Photographic Company' studio. Harwood's interest in the Hastings Photographic Company was primarily financial and he used the wealth generated by his clothing company to develop the facilities at the studio. In June 1873, the Hastings Photographic Company announced the opening of a "New Reception Room on the First Floor" of the White Rock studio. In 1878 the address of the Hastings Photographic Company changed from No. 22 to No. 25 White Rock Place. Harwood retained a financial interest in the Hastings Photographic Company until about 1881. W. T. Pike's Sussex Directory & Blue Book, (corrected to July 1881) lists the Hastings Photographic Company at the new address of 25 White Rock Place, Hastings, but this was the last time that either of Harwood's companies were mentioned in Sussex trade directories. By the time the 1881 census was taken on 3rd April 1881, Ainslie Harwood and his family had left Hastings and were residing in Hornsey, Middlesex.
Carte-de-visite Portraits by the Hastings Photographic Company
|[ABOVE] Portrait of a man with a long beard, a carte-de-visite photograph by the Hastings Photographic Company of 22 White Rock Place, Hastings (c1876).||[ABOVE] Portrait of a young boy, a carte-de-visite photograph by the Hastings Photographic Company of 22 White Rock Place, Hastings (c1878). The reverse of the carte is inscribed "Harry ......14 Months"||[ABOVE] Portrait of a woman, a carte-de-visite photograph by the Hastings Photographic Company of 22 White Rock Place, Hastings (c1875).||[ABOVE] Portrait of a young woman, a carte-de-visite photograph by the Hastings Photographic Company of 22 White Rock Place, Hastings (c1878). The reverse of the carte is inscribed "With kind regards from Clara Perry to Mr Wingrove". Clara Susannah Perry was born in Hastings during the 1st Qtr of 1849.|
|Ainslie Harwood and Family after 1881|
|By 1878, Ainslie Harwood had sold his
home at 46 Havelock Road, Hastings to Mrs Frances Hester
Butterworth, a boarding house proprietor. Ainslie Harwood is recorded as
living at 147 London Road, St Leonards-on-Sea around this time,
but he is known to have also owned property in Battle.
Around 1879, Ainslie Harwood made plans to retire from the retail
clothing business, leave Sussex and retire to the suburbs of London. In 1879,
Ainslie Harwood sold his property at Virgin's Croft, Battle and
within a couple of years, he was residing in Hornsey, Middlesex.
When the 1881 census was taken, Ainslie Harwood and his family were living at 22 Finsbury Park Road, Hornsey, Middlesex. On the 1881 census return, Ainslie Harwood is described as a "Retired Lace Maker", aged 57. Frank (Francis Edward) Harwood is entered on the return as a twenty-two year old unemployed draper. (Presumably, Frank Harwood had previously worked in his father's clothing business). No occupation is given for twenty-one year old Ainslie Goodwin Harwood, the other grown-up son residing at Ainslie Harwood's house in Finsbury Park Road. Emma Harwood, an unmarried woman of 27, and twenty year old Agnes Harwood were also residing at their father's house at 22 Finsbury Park Road.
In Kelly's Directory of Middlesex, published in 1899, Ainslie Harwood is listed as an Insurance Agent with an address of 'Blaimore', Cumberland Park, Acton, Middlesex. When the census was taken on 31st March 1901, Ainslie Harwood was still residing in Acton with his wife Eliza and two of their grown-up children - Emma Mary Harwood, then aged 47, and Ainslie Goodwin Harwood, who gives his occupation as "Manufacturer". Ainslie Harwood senior is described on the census return as a "Retired Lace Merchant", aged 77. Six years later, Ainslie Harwood is listed in a local street directory as residing at 57 Myrtle Road, Acton .
At the time of the 1901 census, Ainslie Harwood junior described himself as a "Manufacturer", aged 39. ( Ainslie Goodwin Harwood was actually 41 years of age in March 1901 ). Six years earlier, Ainslie G. Harwood was listed in the 1895 edition of Kelly's Post Office London Directory as a "Wholesale Confectioner" based at 44 Hatton Wall, London.
Ainslie Harwood, a successful lace manufacturer and proprietor of the Hastings Photographic Company, died in Acton, Middlesex, during the 4th Quarter of 1909, at the age of 86.
Ainslie Goodwin Harwood pre-deceased his father, dying in Cheltenham in 1908 at the age of 48.
Acknowledgements & Sources
|Thanks to Vicki
Watkins, a descendant of Robert Harwood and Mary Soutter,
for providing additional information relating to the Harwood family. I
am grateful to Karen Neilly
(nee Huckle) for providing information on
Kate Eliza Harwood
(1865-1946), Ainslie Harwood's youngest child. At the
age of 66, Kate Eliza Harwood
married Karen Neilly's great grandfather, George Huckle.
SOURCES : Primary Sources : Trade Directories: Kelly's Directory of Sussex (1851, 1855, 1859, 1862, 1866, 1867, 1874, 1878) ; Parson's Directory of Hastings and St Leonards (1871); W. T. Pike's Sussex Directory & Blue Book, 1880-81 ; Kelly's Post Office London Directory (1895) ; Kelly's Directory of Middlesex (1899) ; Kelly's Directory for Ealing, Acton etc (1907,1911) ; Local Newspapers : Hastings & St. Leonards News (1853-1878) ;Hastings & St. Leonards Chronicle (1857- 1871) ; Census Returns: 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891 & 1901 ; Websites : FreeBMD ; Historical Directories (University of Leicester) ; Family Search - International Genealogical Index (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints)
THE HASTINGS SCHOOL OF PHOTOGRAPHY
Photographic studio in Hastings active between 1870 and 1871
|The only evidence I have of
the existence of The Hastings School of Photography studio is a
single carte-de-visite portrait, produced around 1870, which carries the
business address of 81 High Street, Hastings
(see illustration, right). The premises at
81 High Street, Hastings was not an established photographic studio and
was generally used as a lodging house. At the time of the 1871 census,
one of the boarders at 81 High Street, Hastings was Thomas J.
Foster (born c1834, London), described on the census return as a
widowed photographer, aged 37. It seems likely that Thomas Foster was
the proprietor of The Hastings School of Photography studio.
Parson's Directory of Hastings and St Leonards, published in
1871, lists Thomas Foster of 81 High Street, Hastings as
one of the dozen photographers based in the town. The carte-de-visite
portrait illustrated on the right carries a negative reference of No.
6681, which suggests the studio was in business for a couple of years.
Neither the name Thomas Foster, nor the studio address of The Hastings
School of Photography at 81 High Street, Hastings, appears in the list
under the heading "Photographers" in the commercial section of Kelly's
1874 Directory of Sussex.
[ABOVE] The trade plate of The Hastings School of Photography, 81 High Street, Hastings, printed on the reverse of a carte-de-visite portrait (c1870).
[ABOVE] Portrait of a seated woman holding a book, a carte-de-visite portrait produced at The Hastings School of Photography studio at 81 High Street, Hastings (1870). Negative No. 6681.
Arthur Charles HEILBRONN (1850-1917)
Photographer active in Hastings around 1874
|Arthur Charles HEILBRONN
Arthur Charles Heilbronn was born in Pimlico, London in 1850, the second child of the London photographer William Heilbronn (1822-1900).
William Heilbronn (1822-1900)
William Heilbronn, Arthur's father, was born in Kennington, Lambeth, on 30th October 1822, the son of Sebastian Adolph Heilbronn (name sometimes given as Adolph Sebastian Heilbronn) and Ann Lacey (1792-1847). William Heilbronn was baptised with his twin sister Louisa on 15th December 1822 at St Saviour's Church, Southwark . William Heilbronn had at least six siblings - Mary Ann (born 1818, Southwark), Adolph (born 1820, Bermondsey), Louisa (born 1822, Kennington, Lambeth), John (born 1825) George (born 1827) and possibly Therese (born 1834). Sebastian Adolph Heilbronn, William's father died before 1841. When the 1841 census was taken, Mrs Ann Heilbronn was a widow living in South London with her seven children. By the time the 1851 census was carried out on 30th March 1851, William Heilbronn had married and was living in Lambeth with his wife Mary Ann (Marian) Catherine Heilbronn (born 1822, London) and their two children Henry William Heilbronn (born 1849) and Arthur Charles Heilbronn (born 1850). Over the next decade, William Heilbronn fathered four more children - Sebastian Adolph Heilbronn (born 1852), Edward Booth Heilbronn (born 1854), Therese Marian Heilbronn (born 1855) and Catherine Heilbronn (born 1860).
In the early 1860s William Heilbronn embarked on his photographic career. In 1863, William Heilbronn joined forces with Edward Schnadhorst *(1830-1913) to form the firm of Schnadhorst & Heilbronn. For the past few years, Edward Schnadhorst had been operating a photographic portrait studio at 433 Strand, Westminster, London. [ The studio at 433 Strand was the former studio of Cornelius Jabez Hughes. This fashionable London studio had been established in 1847 by the famous photographer John Jabez Edwin Mayall (1813-1901) ]. From 1863 until September 1864, the studio at 433 Strand carried the name of Schnadhorst & Heilbronn. On 1st October 1864, the partnership between Edward Schnadhorst and William Heilbronn was dissolved. The studio at 433 Strand was retained by William Heilbronn, who immediately entered into a partnership with photographer John Henry Robert Pike (1805-1866), forming the firm of Heilbronn & Pike. This business partnership lasted less than a year and in July 1865, William Heilbronn and John Pike went their separate ways.
William Heilbronn moved to the East End of London, where in he established a photographic studio at 8 Coburn Road, Bow Road, Bethnal Green, London. William Heilbronn opened a second studio at Park House, Coborn Road, Bethnal Green but his business failed and Heilbronn was declared bankrupt in April 1867. William Heilbronn was discharged as a bankrupt in June 1867 and around 1869 he entered into yet another business partnership, this time with a man named William Henry Allerton. In 1870, the two men re-opened the photographic studio at 8 Coburn Road, Bow Road, Bethnal Green, London. Like William Heilbronn's previous partnerships, the firm of Heilbronn & Allerton only lasted about a year.
By 1881, William Heilbronn had abandoned photography. The 1881 census records William Heilbronn at 105 Tredegar Road, Bow, East London. William Heilbronn is entered on the census return as a commercial shipping clerk, aged 56. Living at William Heilbronn's house in Tredegar Road at the time of the 1881 census was his wife Mary Ann (Marian), his youngest son Edward Booth Heilbronn, described as a twenty-six year old unemployed draper, and his two youngest daughters, twenty-one year old Catherine and Therese, a "Music Teacher" in her mid twenties. Two other family members were staying at William Heilbronn's house on the night of the census - Mrs Louisa Giles, a widowed sister, and his four year old grandson Egerton Beresford Heilbronn. Ten years later, William Heilbronn was living at the same address in Tredegar Road with his two unmarried daughters, Therese Heilbronn and Catherine Heilbronn. Henry's wife Mrs Marian Catherine Heilbronn had died in Bow the previous year at the age of 69. William Heilbronn is described on the 1881 census return as a widower of seventy-one, employed as a commercial clerk by the General Steam Navigation Co.
William Heilbronn died in the East London district of East Ham in 1900, at the age of 77.
*David Webb, the London Photohistorian, has identified William Heilbronn's partner as Edward Schnadhorst (born 1830 Birmingham). Edward Schnadhorst is a very unusual name and it seems unlikely that there were two men of this name residing in London during the early 1860s. However, the only Edward Schnadhorst recorded in London at the time of the 1861 census was a thirty-one year old Independent Church Minister. This Edward Schnadhorst, who was born in Birmingham on 6th March 1830, was the son of Amelia and John Schnadhorst, a Birmingham tailor, and the older brother of Francis Schnadhorst (1839-1900), the Liberal politician. If Heilbronn's partner in the firm of Schnadhorst & Heilbronn was Edward Schnadhorst (1830-1913) who worked as the Minister in the Congregational Church, his involvement in the photography business might have been purely financial.
Arthur Charles Heilbronn (1850-1917)
Despite his father's unsuccessful career as a photographer, Arthur Charles Heilbronn chose to earn his living through photography. At the age of twenty-one, Arthur Heilbronn was working as a photographic printer in London. Within a few years, Arthur Heilbronn was working as a free lance photographer, producing photographic views for London publishers.
Arthur Charles Heilbronn and Hastings
Arthur Charles Heilbronn's association with the Sussex seaside resort of Hastings seems to have started in the mid 1870s. Arthur Heilbronn's younger brother, Sebastian Adolph Heilbronn (born 1852, Brixton, Surrey), also a photographer, had settled in Hastings shortly after his marriage to Mary Hannah Fitch (born c1853, Strood, Kent) in 1873 [ Marriage registered in Hastings during the 3rd Quarter of 1873]. Sebastian and Mary Heilbronn remained in Hastings for the next five years, during which time at least three children were born to the couple - Amy Agnes Heilbronn (born 1874, Hastings), William Robert Heilbronn (born 1876, Hastings) and Henry Charles Heilbronn (born 1878, Hastings)*. It appears that Arthur Heilbronn was taking photographic views of Hastings during this period. In the early or mid 1870s, Arthur Heilbronn produced a series of twenty or so views of Hastings, including pictures of some notable landmarks, church buildings, and beauty spots in the locality (e.g. Hastings Pier, The Ruins of Hastings Castle, The Albert Memorial Clock Tower, Battle Abbey, Fairlight Glen and the Waterfall at Ecclesbourne).
Around 1874, the London photographer and publisher John Henry Fox (born 1847, Essex) issued twenty-two of Arthur Heilbronn's photographs of Hastings and the surrounding area in carte-de-visite format. This series of carte-de-visite views was published under the title "The Views of Hastings, Photographed by A. C. Heilbronn " and was issued from John Henry Fox's business address at 295 Edgware Road, London. By 1877, John Henry Fox had left Edgware Road and moved out of London, first to Kent and then to Sutton Coldfield in Warwickshire.
Possibly, it was during visits to his brother's home in Hastings that Arthur Heilbronn met his future wife Elizabeth Sheen (born 1852, Hastings). Arthur Charles Heilbronn married Elizabeth Sheen in Richmond, Surrey during the First Quarter of 1874. The couple's first child, Walter Cecil Heilbronn, was born in Richmond in 1875. a second son, Ernest Arthur Heilbronn, arrived a couple of years later in 1877.
*Sebastian Heilbronn and his wife Mary were still residing in Hastings when their newly-born baby (Henry Charles Heilbronn) died during the 3rd Quarter of 1878. Sebastian Heilbronn and his family returned to London around 1880, but after his six month old baby son, Sebastian Adolph junior, died in 1881, the Heilbronn family returned to Hastings. Two more Heilbronn children were born in Hastings - Arthur Edward Heilbronn in 1883 and Lilian Heilbronn in 1885.Their father, Sebastian Adolph Heilbronn died in Hastings during the First Quarter of 1887 at the age of 35. In 1890, Sebastian's widow, Mrs Mary Hannah Heilbronn, married Walter Scott (born c1862, London), a Hastings photographer. In the 1891 census, Mrs Mary Hannah Scott, Sebastian Heilbronn's widow, is also recorded as a photographer.
|Arthur Charles Heilbronn in North Staffordshire|
and his family moved to Erdington on the outskirts of
Birmingham, only a few miles from the home of his friend and
former business associate John Henry Fox, who lived
in nearby Sutton Coldfield. Arthur and Elizabeth's third
son, William Thomas Heilbronn, was born in Erdington
during the 3rd Quarter of 1878.
By 1881, Arthur Heilbronn and his family had settled in the Shelton/Hanley district of Stoke-on-Trent. When the census was taken on the evening of 3rd April 1881, Arthur Heilbronn and his wife Elizabeth, together with their youngest child, two year old William, were visiting photographer and publisher John Henry Fox at his house in Boldmere Road, Sutton Coldfield. Arthur's two eldest boys, Walter, aged 6, and Ernest, aged 4, were being looked after by a sixteen year old servant girl named Annie Scott at the family home at 29 Piccadilly, Shelton, Stoke-upon-Trent. On the 1881 census return, Arthur Heilbronn is recorded as a thirty-year old photographer. It appears that Arthur Heilbronn had already established his own photography business in the Piccadilly area of Stoke-on- Trent. A surviving photograph of a twelve year old member of the Standon Farm Home Band by A. C. Heilbronn & Co., which dates from around 1886, indicates that Arthur Charles Heilbronn was operating a photographic portrait studio at 61 Piccadilly, Hanley, Stoke-upon-Trent in the mid 1880s. Hanley, a township in the city of Stoke-on-Trent, was the most populous town in North Staffordshire and was regarded as "the capital of the Potteries". In 1891, the population of the municipal borough of Hanley totalled 54,846. The 1891 census records Arthur and Elizabeth Heilbronn and their three sons residing in Stoke-Upon-Trent. Arthur C. Heilbronn is recorded as a "Photographer", aged 40.
Arthur Charles Heilbronn was still working as photographer at 61 Piccadilly, Hanley, Stoke-upon-Trent in the 1890s. In 1896, Arthur's twenty-one year old son, Walter Cecil Heilbronn is listed as a photographer at 46 Liverpool Road, Stoke-Upon-Trent. When the 1901 census was taken, Arthur C. Heilbronn informed the census enumerator that he was working as a "Commercial Traveller", yet in the section covering Hanley in Kelly's 1904 Directory of Staffordshire, the firm of Barnard & Heilbronn, Photographers & Picture Frame Makers, is listed at Heilbronn's former studio at 61 Piccadilly, Hanley. Apart from Walter Heilbronn's brief time as a studio proprietor in Stoke, it seems that Arthur's sons chose not to pursue a career in photography. In 1901, Arthur's two eldest sons were employed as commercial travellers. Walter C. Heilbronn was working as a "Draper's Traveller" and his brother Ernest A. Heilbronn is described as a "Tobacconist's Traveller". At this time, William Thomas Heilbronn, Arthur's youngest son, was just embarking on his long career as an actor on stage and screen. William T. Heilbronn is entered on the 1901 census return as an "Actor", aged 22. Much later, William Heilbronn appeared as a veteran actor in two very early television plays broadcasted in 1938 and was still performing in London theatres towards the end of the Second World War ( A London theatre programme for Walter Greenwood's 1944 play "The Cure for Love" includes in the cast list, the actor "Heilbronn, William, Mr., b.1879 " alongside the more famous Robert Donat ).
The photographer Arthur Charles Heilbronn died in Prestwich, Lancashire in 1917, at the age of 68.
Acknowledgements & Sources
Thanks to David Webb, the London photohistorian, for providing additional information relating to the Heilbronn family of photographers. Thanks also to David Kibble for supplying family history details relating to Sebastian Adolph Heilbronn and, in particular, the marriage of Sebastian's widow, Mrs Mary Hannah Heilbronn to the Hastings photographer Walter Scott. I am grateful to David Kibble for drawing my attention to the fact that Edward Schnadhorst of Birmingham was an Independent Church Minister in London during the time the studio of Schnadhorst & Heilbronn was in operation at 433 West Strand.
SOURCES : Books : A Directory of London Photographers, 1841-1908 compiled by Michael Pritchard (PhotoResearch 1986, 1994) ; Primary Sources : Trade Directories : Kelly's Post Office Directory for Staffordshire (1896, 1904) ; Census Returns: 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891 & 1901 ; Websites : Database of 19th Century Photographers and Allied Trades in London: 1841-1901 featured on the website photoLondon ; The Templeman Library Theatre Collections website.
A. Murray HENDERSON
Photographer active in Hastings between 1906 and 1908
|A. Murray Henderson is listed as a photographer in Hastings in trade directories published in 1907 and 1908. Pike's Directory of Hastings & St Leonards, issued for the year 1907, records A. M. Henderson as a photographer at 29 Dorset Place, Hastings. The following year, A. Murray Henderson was listed as a photographer at 98 Elphinstone Road, Hastings.|
Click here to return to Home Page